It’s crucial to recognize that not all relationships, whether they’re with friends or family members, always run smoothly – every relationship is different, and things can get tough.

There may be disagreements about:

  • Money and or having to move
  • Alcohol or drugs
  • Having different opinions or beliefs
  • Being hurt of abused

Whatever is going on, it really helps to talk about how you are feeling. Please remember, whatever the time, day or night, there is always someone you can talk to.

Childline have lots of great advice on what to do if your family are not getting on. OneplusOne provide free digital resources designed to support families and help parents understand how conflict in their relationship with current and/or ex partners impacts on their children.


Some adult relationships break down and can result in separation or divorce. There is usually never one reason why people break up, some people grow apart or sometimes things happen to change how people feel about each other.

The most important thing for you to know is that it is not your fault.

It is ok to feel upset when big life events happen. You may feel angry, miss how life was before, had to change schools, give things up (like a pet) or not get to see people that you care about as much as you did before. 

How you feel is important and it is essential that you understand the situation as much as possible. You should not be afraid to ask questions about things you are unsure about. Sometimes talking may feel difficult, so writing things down may help.

After a divorce or separation some young people feel that they no longer wish to see one of their parents/carers. This can be challenging as the people involved may be feeling worried or hurt.

Self Help

If you’re experiencing difficulties in any relationship, try:

  • Writing a letter to those involved to tell them how you are feeling
  • Keep a journal- so you don’t keep your feelings bottled up inside
  • Talk to a trusted adult (like a teacher) who is not involved
  • Read Childline’s advice on how to cope when parents divorce
What support is available from the Youth Trust
  • Contact your school’s Designated Mental Health Lead and ask for a referral to the MHST
  • Make a referral for support from the Youth Trust